6.13.2005

Procrastination, with a side of chocolate chip cookies

I bought some bookshelves from a friend's garage sale on Saturday, and they've been sitting in middle of the front room ever since. I'm off today, so I told Dear Husband that I'd like to put them in the bedroom while we are both here.

Except that what I really feel like doing is making these cookies. And I know Dear Husband wouldn't object to my making cookies instead of working. I must be strong!

Chocoholic Cookies
2 c Rolled oats
12 oz Pk semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 lb unsalted butter; soften
1 c Dark brown sugar; pack firm (you can use light brown if needed)
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c Unsweeted cocoa; preferably Hershey's Premium European Style
2 large eggs; slightly beaten
1 tbsp. milk
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 bars white chocolate; 3oz ea preferably Lindt Swiss White Confectionery Bars
1 1/2 tbsp. Crisco

  • Preheat oven to 350. Butter 2 cookie sheets. DO NOT alter the order in which the ingredients are combined.
  • In a large bowl, combine the oats and chips; set aside. In another large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until creamy.
  • Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa and then add to the butter mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined. The batter will be very stiff.
  • Stir the milk and vanilla into the eggs, then stir this mixture into the butter mixture until thoroughly combined.
  • Add the chips and oats; stir until mixed well.
  • Using a 2-tb scoop, drop batter 2" apart on cookie sheets. Bake 9-12 minutes, until cooked through.
  • Cool on pan 1 minute; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
  • Melt the white chocolate with the crisco in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Holding a cooled cookie between your thumb and forefinger, dip the edge into the warm white chocolate to cover the top third of the cookie. Place on a rack over wax paper to dry completely.
  • Store between layers of wax paper in an airtight container in a cool place.

Source: The Main Corpse by Diane Mott Davidson


If you'd like to see pictures of the finished product, check out this food blog. I almost never put white chocolate on mine -- it makes them too sweet for me. I think the cookies are just perfect without. But it makes them prettier, and I bet some people like it better that way. Experiment, see what you like best. That's my favorite part of cooking!

1 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Oooh, another Diane Mott Davidson fan! :) I'll be trying her strawberry tart for this edition of Sugar High Fridays - I hope it goes well, despite not having any chocolate. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home