6.02.2005

A welcome note, with a side of fudge

I'm going to try something new -- keeping track of my cooking experiments online, so I'll have everything in one easy-to-find place. And maybe you'll even benefit from my mistakes and successes -- I'll post what does and doesn't work out.

Luckily, I work in a newsroom, so my husband won't have to be the only guinea pig trying my experiments. (Note to readers: People working in a newsroom will eat anything -- and they won't ask silly questions, like where did this come from? If it shows up in the office, it will be eaten.)

I'll leave you with one of my favorite fudge recipes for this first post, found in the pages of the Daily Press in Newport News a few years ago. (If anyone can give me the name of the person who submitted it, I would be more than happy to give them credit.) It's a fast microwave fudge recipe. (I know what you're thinking -- microwave fudge? But it's delicious, and no one has ever been able to tell the difference. And it's so much faster!)

French Silk Fudge
2 cups super-fine sugar
1 small can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
1 stick (½ cup) butter
2 cups miniature marshmallows
2 bags (11.5 ounces each) milk chocolate chips (3½ cups total)
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup already-chopped pecans (Optional: I never use them, since I don't like anything to mar the perfection that is fudge.)
  • Butter an 8-by-11-inch baking pan and set aside.
  • In a 2-quart glass bowl, mix the sugar and the milk. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Remove from the microwave oven and stir.
  • Microwave an additional 2 minutes, watching closely so that the mixture doesn't boil over. Meanwhile, cut the butter into four pieces and set aside.
  • Remove the sugar mixture from the microwave and stir in the butter and marshmallows until both are melted. Add the chocolate chips, vanilla and nuts, and mix well. Spread into the buttered pan and chill for at least an hour or until firm.
  • Cut into small (1-inch) squares and store in tins or plastic storage containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Makes: about 80 (1-inch) pieces of candy.
Start to finish: 10 minutes, plus 1 hour chilling time
Approximate values per serving (1 piece): 80 calories (46 percent from fat), 4.7 g fat (2.3 g saturated), 4.9 mg cholesterol, 0.9 g protein, 11.3 g carbohydrates, 0.4 g dietary fiber, 21 mg sodium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home